As a businessperson, you certainly know the highly important role proper database management plays in the success of your business. As a matter of fact, many business entrepreneurship experts agree that one of the most important assets that contribute to a successful business is data.
Research has demonstrated that proper management of online business data is what dictates the modern business environment. Findings have revealed that most businesses that report hiring database management services have recorded an improvement in sales as a result.
On the other hand, businesses that reported that they did not hire database management services to optimize data on their WordPress sites suffered considerable loss of business.
Clearly, there is a lot of emphasis on the importance of proper database management for your business website. It is, therefore, essential that you gain some basic understanding of the entire concept. This will enable you to come up with a long-term strategy that will assist you in optimizing data on your WordPress site in such a way that improves your return on investment.
Why Use WordPress as Your Platform?
It is imperative that your business has a website, otherwise you will lose out on a whole lot. To begin with, the number of internet users is over 3.92 billion. Failing to take advantage of these large numbers means that you are losing out on an opportunity to reach a vast global market.
If your business does not have an online presence, then you can be considered non-existent because up to eighty percent of prospective customers will first go online before they buy a product.
So, what type of website platform should you choose for your business? The obvious answer is WordPress because it has an unmatched content management system (CMS). By using WordPress, you enjoy several advantages including the following.
- You don’t require specialized skills because it is easy to use. You don’t need FTP software or HTML editing to run your business website.
- WordPress is browser-based, making it a versatile platform that you can access from any device.
- WordPress works excellently with search engines and therefore ensures effective search engine optimization (SEO). Optimizing your WordPress business website for search engines is easy because its code is clean and simple.
- WordPress has a simple setup for email subscriptions, RSS feeds and blogging capabilities.
Basically, you enjoy full control of your WordPress business site and you can easily extend its functionality with plugins. All in all, internet users love WordPress. In fact, well-established and renowned brands such as Times Magazine and CNN use the same content management system. The leading pages on Google use the platform, which goes to show the potential it has for growing your business.
Database Administration for WordPress
Your data in WordPress is managed using PHP. The database stores all your data, including posts and comments. You can use the MySQL database management system anytime to store and retrieve this information. If you are a busy business person, managing your database can be quite tricky. You need to create a username, password and database name from the initial setup.
Ideally, everything should run smoothly all the way from installation. Nevertheless, a few glitches here and there can be expected when it comes to technology. In addition to that, as a busy businessperson, you might be extremely busy and have many things on your schedule. A small error that you may not have anticipated can cost your business a lot of money.
The first option that you might think of may be making use of an open database management system such as phpMyAdmin. However, doing this would require you to learn MySQL and PHP, both of which are highly technical skills that will certainly take up a lot of your time and require considerable financial resources.
Fortunately, there is another option; remote database administration (DBA) services, such as remotedba.com. These are highly qualified and well-trained experts that have the adequate experience needed to handle everything regarding your business’ database. It is critical that you gain some insight and basic knowledge of how these professionals work to get value from remote database administration services
Some of the areas where remote database administration experts work on include:
- Problem-solving – In the event of an outage, remote database administration experts will have set up systems for alerts. If problems come up, database administration experts handle them before they slow down your business’ website.
- Performance tuning – When it comes to running a functional website, performance tuning is a major driver. There is a plethora of technical problems that may result in your page being slow. Remote database administration experts take care of these problems through database management techniques that are non-invasive.
- Cost–savings – Hiring remote database administration experts will cost you less that hiring an in-house database administration specialist. Remote database administration experts operate online and manage your site’s database without having to be physically present in your business premises.
- Design – Remote database administration experts will alert you in case your business’ website has a flaw in its code. They will then proceed to resolve any flaws in the site’s design to optimize the functionality of your website.
As your business continues to grow, the amount of business data that needs to be managed will also grow considerably. A significant increase in the volume of your business data over time opens your website to numerous possible technical malfunctions. It is imperative that you hire remote database administration experts to stave off these technical malfunctions, otherwise, you risk losing business.
In the fast-paced and cutthroat environment of the modern business world, it is vital that you make wise choices that will ensure business growth and keep you ahead of your competition. One of the most important choices you can make as a savvy businessperson is to hire the services of well-established and highly qualified remote database administration experts to run your WordPress business site.
Sujain Thomas is an SQL Server analyst. She has worked with remote database administration professionals and is also a highly-ranked DBA. Find out more about how to maintain your website’s database at remotedba.com.