Are you looking for the best hosting company for your WordPress website? If you answered yes, chances are you’re overwhelmed with all the choices. Though, if you want to get the best services, look for Siteground and Bluehost.
When it comes to WordPress hosting, Bluehost and Siteground are two very popular choices. In this post, we’ll take a look at what you should look for in a shared host. We’ll also compare the two providers so you can decide which hosting company out of the two is the best for your website.
|Table of contents|
|What to look for in a shared host|
|Bluehost plans and features|
|Siteground plans and features|
|Bluehost or Siteground: Which one is right for you|
What to Look For in a Shared Host
Shared hosting is a good choice if you’re just starting with your website or if you’re a small business owner who wants to get online. There is no shortage of shared hosting options available. But before making your final choice, pay attention to the following features:
- The number of websites you can host — choose a host that offers a plan for hosting multiple websites. This way, if you decide to start another website, you don’t have to go looking for a new hosting company.
- Storage and bandwidth limits — most shared hosts will claim to have unlimited storage options and bandwidth. In some cases, this can be misleading as they can throttle your website if they think you’re using up too much of the server resources. Read their terms of service carefully or opt for a host that clearly states how much storage space you get and how much bandwidth you’re allowed to have.
- The number of included email addresses — having an email address tied to your domain name will make you look more professional. So, be sure to opt for a hosting company that allows you to create an email address or offers integration with GSuite.
- Customer support — customer support is crucial in case something goes wrong with your website or you simply need some guidance on specific features. Make sure that the hosting company offers multiple support channels as the last thing you want is having to wait on a reply.
- Security features and uptime rates — lastly, make sure your hosting company has security features in places like firewall or malware monitoring. This will help your website stay secure and less prone to hacking. In addition to that, make sure they have a great uptime rate. So that you’re not faced with your website going down at crucial times.
With that out of the way, let’s take a look at what Bluehost and Siteground have to offer and which one is the better choice.
Bluehost Plans and Features
Bluehost was founded in 2003 by Matt Heaton and Danny Ashworth in Provo, Utah. They are one of the few hosting companies officially recommended by WordPress itself. This website host prides itself on having an in-house team of WordPress experts who provide 24/7 support to Bluehost users.
Bluehost offers the ability to host an unlimited number of domains along with an unmetered storage and bandwidth. They also offer a free domain for the first year when you purchase one of their hosting plans. Each plan comes with a custom dashboard that’s easy to use and includes a one-click WordPress install options. You can also host email accounts with Bluehost and install numerous other scripts and apps like Drupal and Joomla.
This website host offers shared, VPS, WordPress, and dedicated hosting plans.
- Shared plans come in four pricing tiers. The cheapest plan allows you to host one website, includes 50GB of storage, and priced at $3.95/mo. Other plans allow you to host an unlimited number of websites and include unmetered bandwidth and storage. Each plan also includes a free SSL certificate. Higher-priced plans also include domain privacy and site backups. Shared hosting plans also include a built-in caching system.
- VPS hosting plans offer SSD storage no matter which pricing tier you select. You can choose between three different options and they offer between 30-120GB of storage, 2-8GB of RAM, and 1-3TB of bandwidth. Pricing starts at $19.99/month. They also include a free domain name for the first year and 30-day money back guarantee.
- Dedicated hosting plans offer 3 different pricing tiers that come with a free domain name for the first year and 30-day money back guarantee. They also include a free SSL certificate. Pricing starts at $79.99/month. Dedicated plans offer between 500GB and 1TB of mirrored storage, 4-16GB of RAM, and 5-15TB of bandwidth.
- WordPress plans are available in 3 different pricing plans starting at $3.95/month. They include automatic WordPress backups, free SSL certificates, Google My Business verification, secure login credentials generation, and free domain for a year.
As far as security features go, Bluehost offers hotlinking protection as well a free SSL certificate, spam assassin, and 24/7 network monitoring to prevent malicious attacks.
As mentioned earlier, Bluehost offers 24/7 support that’s available via email, live chat, and phone. You can also open up a ticket and access their knowledge base. It’s full of tutorials and guides about various topics related to hosting a website.
Uptime And Guarantees
This web hosting offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all plans. While they don’t state what their uptime is, their terms of service do state that they […]strive to offer the best in the industry for Network and Server uptime.
Siteground Plans and Features
Siteground was founded in 2004 and, like Bluehost, is one of the few companies officially endorsed by WordPress itself. Siteground prides itself on excellent customer service and the fact that they have a 99.7% customer happiness rating.
Siteground stands out among other companies thanks to its free site migration feature. They also offer free SSL certificates, custom dashboard that’s easy to use, and unmetered bandwidth. Their plans have limits on storage that’s available and list the number of monthly visitors each plan can support. Another standout feature is the fact that they are committed to reducing their carbon footprint through their partnership with Google Cloud.
They offer shared hosting, WordPress and WooCommerce hosting, and cloud hosting.
- Shared plans come in three different pricing tiers. The cheapest plan allows you to host one site. Unlimited sites are available on the two higher priced plans. Aside from that, shared hosting plans offer automatic updates for WordPress, daily backups, free CDN via Cloudflare, and free email accounts. Pricing starts at $4.95/month.
- WordPress and WooCommerce hosting plans offer the same pricing structure and features as their shared hosting. But with added benefits of dynamic caching, on demand backups, staging sites, and the ability to add collaborators to your hosting account.
- Cloud hosting plans are available in 4 pricing tiers. They offer between 4-10GB of RAM, 40-120GB of SSD storage, and 5TB of bandwidth. All plans are easy to scale and come with free CDN and free SSL as well as daily backups and a dedicated IP. Pricing starts at $64/month.
Siteground has a custom firewall that acts as the first line of defense against hackers. They also offer security level monitoring on all plans along with proactive measures and server fixes in case of a vulnerability. Spam protection and daily backups are also available.
This website host offers 24/7 support that’s available via helpdesk tickets, live chat, and phone. They also have an extensive knowledge base and AI chat bots that can solve some specific issues in the fastest possible way, eliminating the wait time for a support agent.
Uptime And Guarantees
Siteground offers a 30-day money back guarantee. There isn’t any specific mention of the uptime but they do offer data centers in multiple locations which are powered by multiple power feeds, on-site power generators, and enterprise-class UPS technology and simultaneous usage of multiple major carriers to ensure an uninterrupted network connectivity.
Bluehost or Siteground: Which One is Right For You
Both WordPress websites host offer attractive features. They both offer a variety of hosting plans, including hosting plans that have been optimized for WordPress specifically. They also provide a free SSL and CDN.
However, in terms of security and performance, Siteground seems to offer slightly more with its own firewall, proactive monitoring, and the fact that they use Google Cloud as the base for their infrastructure.
If you’re on a budget, Bluehost is a great choice and will serve you well if you’re at the beginning of the road.
But if budget is not important and you don’t mind paying extra, Siteground makes an excellent choice.
Siteground and Bluehost are great options when it comes to WordPress hosting. Use our article to help you decide which hosting company is better for you. Consider their features before making the final choice.