The best addresses in town for an eCommerce website are to be found online. The internet is becoming a valuable home to many businesses, both the traditional ones which now seek an online presence and new age ones, which may even lack a physical address. More and more people are shopping online. And that’s why it’s becoming important to have an online outlet for your store.
But getting eCommerce right is not a walk in the park. Bringing customers to your website, keeping them long enough to get interested in a product and convincing them to make a purchase is hard work. And you need to do all this in the millisecond that the mouse hovers over your landing page.
This is where a theme can play an important part. While WordPress offers a solid platform for an eCommerce store, it’s the theme that plays a critical role in the appearance of the website and in some of the functions as well. The importance of visual appeal in an eCommerce website cannot be over stressed.
User experience above all else should be the guiding factor in selecting a theme for an eCommerce store. Some of the features you should look for in a theme that you can use to build your eCommerce website:
- Product display counts among the top features to look for in an eCommerce site. Product pictures need to be displayed as sharp images. A viewer must be able to zoom in on the images and view the product from different angles. There are many plugins that can do this job and the theme must support these plugins.
- The product catalog and the store, in general, must be easily navigable. A shopper must be able to move around the website and browse the shop pages intuitively. Sticky headers, arrows, call to action buttons can all help here.
- If the theme includes templates for your blog, that’s an added advantage. The blog pages are where you can write more in detail about your product and persuade consumers to make a purchase. So, blog pages are a valuable addition.
- The theme must integrate easily with eCommerce plugins like WooCommerce and Easy Digital Downloads. An eCommerce website will also need multiple plugins for effective operations. The theme must offer a complete framework for these plugins to function.
- Any theme for an eCommerce website should be simple and highly efficient, leaving the spotlight on your products.
- The theme should be highly customizable as you should be able to style it to reflect your brand. Branding is highly important for an eCommerce store.
- Many layouts are possible for a website. But when it comes to an eCommerce website, it’s better to stay with layouts that are familiar to the average internet user. Otherwise, they may find it difficult to browse.
- Needless to say, an eCommerce theme must be responsive, given that the trend of shopping on handheld device is witnessing an increase.
- An eCommerce website will be collecting sensitive customer information like credit card numbers and shopping preferences. It’s important to keep this data safe, away from the reach of malicious software or hackers. So a theme for an eCommerce website must be properly coded with solid security features.
- No customer will wait for a website that takes forever to load. And so the theme must be fast and cleanly coded.
- Nowadays, a good word on social media forums can mean much more than concentrated marketing efforts. And therefore any theme you use on your eCommerce website must allow users to share pages on social media forums. Login using social media credentials is another great feature to have.
- The theme must lend itself to translation easily. This is necessary if you want to sell products across the globe. Reaching out to customers in their own language can make a difference to conversions.
Selecting an eCommerce theme for your store is not an easy task, given that there is more than 600 eCommerce theme on Themeforest alone. But we’ll make it easier for you with this list of free quality eCommerce themes. For a wider selection of free eCommerce themes, check out this collection on Colorlib. If your choice is a premium theme for your eCommerce store, you’re likely to find it here.
Onto our list,
Your eCommerce store is off to a good start with Shapely. This one page, pixel perfect theme is not only based on great design, it also packs in awesome functionality that’s necessary for an eCommerce website. It integrates well with WooCommerce plugin and so it’s easy to build your eCommerce website easily.
If you’ve got any one product that you want to promote, use Hero images for the same and watch it grab all the attention. The theme adopts a mobile-first approach and is structured to load fast. And this makes it a great fit for websites with a greater volume of traffic from smaller devices.
If you want your eCommerce store to reach consumers in their own language, that too is taken care of. Shapely is translation and multilingual ready and enjoys awesome support from the team at Colorlib.
Stunning graphics and retina ready images that are possible with Illdy allow for the attractive display of the products of your eCommerce store. It comes with support for the WordPress Customizer. This means you can customize the theme using the many theme options, and watch the changes in Live Preview. The built-in support for Font Awesome and unlimited color options make customization an enjoyable experience.
The one-page layout is well suited for an online store. The theme supports many popular plugins like Jetpack, W3 Total Cache and iThemes Security. Illdy is a responsive and flat theme that comes with a full-screen background image and parallax scrolling enabled sections.
ECommerce websites have to load fast to gain traffic to their store. Sparkling with its Schema compatible structure ensures that the website loads fast and that it is optimized for search engines. It is developed using Bootstrap 3 and packs in awesome widgets and full-screen slider.
The many theme options that come with the theme allow a great deal of customization. Sparkling allows infinite scroll and is WooCommerce ready, so it’s easy to set up a store with this theme.
To showcase your most important content, the theme bundles a full screen featured slider that’s powered by Flex Slider. The slider supports beautiful transitions that make it engaging for the user. The theme also supports WooCommerce and many more popular plugins and so it can help you set up a store in no time at all.
WooCommerce integration, retina ready images, sharp graphics, featured slider and support for the many popular plugins make Activello a suitable theme for eCommerce based websites. And if your store features a long list of products, you’ll be glad of the infinite scroll capability. This helps with loading more products even as the viewer reaches the bottom of the page. This improves site speed as viewers get to see some products right away, without waiting for the entire page to load.
The theme sports a flat design and offers great customization options with the help of the WordPress Theme Customizer. It’s well suited for corporates also, so any corporate which wants to add a store function to their site will find Activello a good fit. The theme is responsive and mobile users will be happy with the ‘mobile-first’ approach.
Dazzling is a modern, clean and flat theme. It’s designed with businesses in mind and contains several widget areas, flexible featured slider and a host of other features. It is highly customizable and can be used to build almost any website. Since the theme plays well with WooCommerce, it can be used to build an eCommerce website as well.
Besides WooCommerce, the plugin supports Jetpack, Contact Form 7, Yoast SEO and much more commonly used WordPress plugins. Dazzling is built with Bootstrap and is, therefore, flexible and responsive, and can size down well to any screen size.
With pixel perfect design, retina sharp images and clean code, you cannot go wrong when you build your store using this theme.
Any business that desires an impressive online presence should give some serious consideration to Transcend. It packs in a number of dynamic elements that help you build an interactive homepage. And if you want a store to go with it, it teams up nicely with WooCommerce. Moreover, if it’s digital products that you’re going to sell, you should know that this theme supports the Easy Digital Downloads plugin.
The theme supports all kinds of media and you can easily build a beautiful slideshow for your website. The wide range of color options, custom shortcodes and custom typography are great for customization. You have total control over the layout of all the pages and posts, so you really get to be your own designer, without having to know any code.
The Lite version is freely downloadable, but if you want to upgrade to the premium, you can do so at $59. If it’s annual subscriptions you prefer, that’ll be $119.
Panoramica is a free multipurpose theme that you can use to build any kind of website, including an eCommerce website. Full size images and small intros on the homepage can help to convey in one screen what your business is all about.
Not only does the theme support WooCommerce and Easy Digital downloads, it also includes a number of custom shortcodes. With the help of these shortcodes, you can insert many elements that are handy for an eCommerce site such as buttons, accordions, pricing tables, and more.
While the free theme can get you a basic eCommerce site, for the better support you may want to purchase the premium version at $59 or opt for the annual membership package at $119. The annual package also gives you access to all the themes from CPO Themes.
Illustrious is a theme that comes with a built-in slideshow on the homepage. It allows you to use as many images as you want on the slide and even add background images, small blocks of text and HTML formatting in the caption. All the elements in the layout combine nicely to give a user a smooth browsing experience.
A user has complete layout control while designing the website. The theme is a delight for both do-it-yourself types as well as for seasoned developers. Support for WooCommerce and for Easy Digital Downloads ensures that you can add store pages to your website easily.
The premium version of the theme will set you back by $59. And if you choose to go with the annual subscription package, you’ll gain access to the full basket of themes from CPO Themes.
Regina Lite is primarily designed for the different activities relating to the medical profession, but can easily be tweaked to the needs of any eCommerce store. It caters to every aspect of the online needs of the medical industry like dental offices, clinics, hospitals, medical tourism and the like. The clean code supports retina ready images and is regularly updated.
The theme supports WooCommerce and so you can showcase your services, receive payments and enter into online transactions for your services with ease. In addition, the theme is translation ready and can be customized to suit the brand of every eCommerce store. The theme is a combination of great design, clean code and super functionality, and anyone from a rank beginner to an expert developer can put it to good use.
Pixova Lite is one page, free parallax theme that caters to a wide range of websites. It offers plenty of options designed to give you the freedom to build your own website the way you like it to be. The advanced CSS Editor will allow you to tweak every aspect of your website. You can easily customize widgets, change sections, add logos and convert your website into a full fledged eCommerce store by adding the versatile WooCommerce plugin. You can also add widgets to the footer area and to the sidebars.
The theme packs in retina font icons & graphics, custom Google Fonts, animations & parallax sections and is highly responsive. The parallax scrolling ensures better user experience, and the responsive feature ensures a delightful mobile experience as well. The theme adopts the best SEO practices and is optimized for speed.
The demos of the various themes can indicate generally how your website will appear when you use the theme. But a theme is not entirely about appearance. Look beyond the demos to ensure that the theme has clean code, regular updates, reputable authors and a great support team.
And do let us know of your experience with any of these themes.
Featured image for this post taken from Colorlib.