Data visualization plugins are useful in so many ways to site owners. They allow you to visualize data in a more eye-pleasing way, using various types of charts and graphs.
Whether you work in finances, IT, design, marketing and so on, you have to constantly interpret and analyze data and numbers on your site. It’s what helps you improve and grow in your business, whatever it might be.
Representing data through graphs, charts and reports helps both you and your users/customers get a better grasp of the information they are looking at. The reason why is that it is translated in a more visually appealing manner.
In this article we are going to look at 5 best WordPress plugins for data visualization in 2021. These tools can help you create anything you need, from pie charts, line graphs, bar graphs, column graphs to reports, heat maps, tables and so on.
Table of contents
How can you use data visualization on your website?
Data visualization has many benefits for your website. Here are the most important ones:
- you can make your website and posts more attractive to visitors
- it provides an useful insight into your website, showing you specific trends, patterns and factors that affect your site traffic or conversion rates; by having a clearer, visual representation of them, you can significantly improve your site/business
- you can better interact with your users and keep them engaged through surveys, polls, etc.
- data visualization helps others understand your data findings more easily
- you can plan and schedule complex projects with the help of special charts such as a Gantt chart
What are the best plugins for data visualization in 2021?
There are lots of data visualization plugins available on the internet and they all include appealing features that help you visualize your data in the most various ways.
We’ve narrowed it down to 5 data visualization plugins for your WordPress site. So, here they are at a glance:
|Plugin name||Formidable Forms||Visualizer||wpDataTables||Infogram||Datawrapper|
custom Enterprise plan (contact them for price)
custom Enterprise plan (contact them for price)
|Best for||wide variety of forms, charts and graphs||features included with the free version||complex tables, statistics and graphs||team collaboration, internal use and reports||large organizations/ publications/journalists|
|Download plugin||Formidable Forms||Visualizer||wpDataTables||Infogram||Datawrapper|
Formidable Forms is a very popular form plugin with 300,000+ active installations so far. It is a complex piece of software mostly used by advanced users and web developers.
Formidable Forms can be downloaded for free from the WordPress repository and it also has a paid version that offers full functionality. Plans start at $49.36 per year and their most premium plan is $399.53 per year.
This plugin can be a great data visualization tool. Here are some of the features it has to offer:
- you can create custom polls and interactive surveys (such as customer service, employee satisfaction, cancellation, student interest surveys and more)
- add to your site various types of graphs (such as column, line, bar, horizontal, area, scatter graphs and more)
- you can create pie charts
- you can create geo-heat maps
- shortcode functionality that allows you to easily display all the reports, charts and graphs anywhere on your site
- it comes with an impressive number of integrations
- it offers spam protection with honeypot, reCAPTCHA, Akismet
Visualizer is another great plugin to consider for data visualization. It has 40,000+ active installations so far and it is a great tool for creating fully customizable tables and charts.
Visualizer Pro offers annual licenses that start at €59 per year or you can opt for a lifetime license, with the most affordable one priced at €159.
Here are some of the strengths of Visualizer:
- 15 types of customizable charts available, including pie charts, geo charts, table charts, bubble charts and others
- an intuitive Excel-like editor for editing your data
- interactive tables such as pricing tables, etc.
- free support and updates for 1 year or for lifetime, depending on the plan you opt for
- synchronize your chart data with a remote CSV or Google Sheets file
wpDataTables is a great data management tool to consider. It helps you easily create multipurpose tables and charts, for commercial, scientific financial use and more.
This plugin has 40,000+ active installations so far. It includes both a free and a paid version.
If you upgrade to the paid version, you can opt for one of their annual or lifetime plans. Annual plans start at €63 per year. If you choose a lifetime plan, the most affordable one will cost you €197.
Here are some of the key features of wpDataTables:
- plenty of chart types available with the free version, such as: pie, bar, line, column, combo, scatter chats and more
- various types of columns for tables: date, time, datetime, float, string, currency, price, percentage, email link columns and others
- you can create tables based on CSV files, Excel files, Google Sheets, MySQL query, PHP array, XML and more
- Excel-like editor for editing the tables in spreadsheet layout
- front-end editing for the tables
Another popular data visualization plugin to consider is Infogram. Although it has only 3,000+ active installations so far, don’t let that fool you. This is a very useful data visualization tool that can help you embed into your posts all kinds of charts and infographics.
If the free version of the plugin doesn’t include all the features you need, you can always upgrade to one of Infogram’s paid plans. The most affordable plan is $19 per month.
Here are some of the key features of Infogram:
- 35+ chart types, including pie charts, bar, column, radial, line, area, bubble, scatter and many more
- 550+ maps
- charts, tables and infographics can be embedded directly into your posts from the WordPress interface, through shortcodes
- includes 1 million royalty-free stock photos, icons, GIFs, flags, and more to choose from
- you can import data from external sources such as Google Sheets, CSV, etc.
- PDF, GIF, PNG export for your data visualizations
Datawrapper is another reliable data visualization plugin in our lineup. The plugin includes a very generous free version and also has two pricing plans available for those who want to upgrade.
However, we consider Datawrapper to be extremely pricey. One of the plans is $599/month. The other one is a fully customized Enterprise plan, so you have to contact them to get a quote based on your specific needs.
However, the free version offers plenty of useful tools for data visualization. Therefore, make sure you check that one out before thinking about upgrading to the paid ones.
Here are some key features of Datawrapper:
- 19 interactive chart types, including donut, pie, scatterplots and so many more
- great, interactive maps such as Choropleth, locator or symbol maps
- various tables
- you can export the chart as a PNG, SVG or PDF
- import data from the web, from Excel or Google Sheets
- upload CSV/XLS files or link to an URL or Google Sheet
Data visualization is very important for your website, and both you and your users can benefit from it.
Data visualization plugins help you create personalized and interactive tables, charts and graphs. All of them include a wide variety of types for each.
There is a generous offer of data visualization plugins available for everyone’s needs:
🏆 Journalists, publications and larger organizations might want to consider Datawrapper for data visualization and much more.
🏆 One of the best plugins you can find for team collaboration purposes, internal use, slides and complex reports is Infogram.
🏆 If your main need is to create tables and statistics and you are familiar with Excel, you might want to give wpDataTables a try.
🏆 Those who are just getting started with data visualization plugins and want a free tool to help them create interactive charts, graphs and so on, the free versions from Visualizer and Formidable Forms are great options to consider.