We all know that images, especially on your WordPress website, are worth a thousand words. We also know that including contact information, such as your business name, phone number, email, and physical address is important too. So the question you should be asking yourself right now is: Why haven’t I started using a mapping plugin for WordPress yet?
At the time of writing, well over 5 million live websites use Google Maps in one way or another. And that’s because maps help people reach their destination, whether it be around the corner or halfway across the globe, in the easiest way possible.
If you want to showcase physical locations around the world, and even give people an efficient way to travel to those locations – without them having to hassle with a paper map – you should definitely check out our expert roundup of the best mapping plugins for WordPress.
Table of Contents
Why Use a Mapping Plugin for WordPress?
You might know that the Google Map API gives website owners an embedding code that can be added to a website to display a simple visual map. The problem is, that’s all you get – a simple map displaying on your website.
With mapping plugins for WordPress, you gain access to advanced features such as filters, street views, custom icons, and so much more.
Not sure why you’d need to display a visual map for site visitors? Check out some common instances:
- You cater to locals, need to bring more people through your doors, and want to make arriving at your physical store as easy as possible
- The restaurant you’re about to open needs promoting and you want to show people just where it’s located
- You run a travel blog and want to highlight hot spots around the world and give people inspiration for their next vacation
- The online business you run has multiple locations (local or not) and the visual map helps people find the nearest one
If anything, adding a map to your WordPress website is just cool. So, check out these mapping plugins for WordPress and see which one you like best.
But first, read on to find out a little about how using Google Maps would work on your website.
How to Get a Google Maps API Key
Since 2016, Google has required people using Google Maps on their websites to acquire an API key. In addition, they now give users a $200 monthly usage credit that covers the cost of map loads on their sites. This credit should be enough for most small-to-medium businesses.
If your site is well-trafficked and exceeds the $200 credit, you’ll have to pay for additional map loads. For more help when it comes to pricing, check out Google’s price sheet.
Now let’s take a look at how you can acquire an API key.
The first thing you’ll need to do is sign up to the Google Cloud Platform (GCP) by clicking Get Started.
You’ll see a popup asking you to pick products.
I recommend you select all three products so that all Google Maps functionality is available on your website no matter which mapping plugin you choose to use.
Next, follow these steps:
- Choose an existing project from the list or select ‘Create a new project’ and name it
- Set up your Billing Account
- Click on the Credentials page, then Create credentials > API key
The API key created for your maps will appear in the popup window. You’ll need this API key to enable functionality for most mapping plugins for WordPress.
This is the plugin that allows you to create interactive maps with regions and colored markers. It’s a great tool that includes maps for all countries in the world and can be multi-purposed. If you have a travel blog, you can highlight the countries you’ve already traveled and link the region on the map to articles on that theme. As a business owner, you can use it to pin the different locations of your offices or stores on it. Besides its multiple functionalities, you get a great looking map to share with the people that follow you.
Interactive Geo Maps’ most notable features include:
- More than 250 maps available
- Hover color change
- Colour regions and markers individually
- Populate map automatically from existing categories or Tags
- Choose from different map projections such as Mercator, Miller, NaturalEarth1
- Select which regions to display in a map or exclude specific regions from a map
- Colour regions and markers individually
PRICE: From $2.49/month
MapSVG is an all-in-one mapping plugin that makes it easy to create a vector, Google, or image maps. It’s more than a simple Google map highlighter that points out where a place is located; instead, it lets you create interactive maps that site visitors can navigate, complete with tooltips, popups, highlighting, region greying, map regions as links, and more.
MapSVG’s most notable features include:
- Import JPEG/PNG images and edit with built-in drawing tools
- Enable custom event handlers such as on-click, mouse over, or after load
- Over 100 countries included (e.g., USA, Germany, France, and Spain)
- Add map markers by entering an address or latitude and longitude coordinates
- Filter by distance or search for nearby locations
- Show number of votes, average income, weather, etc. by region with different shades of color
Do you travel the world and like to share with readers where you’ve been and where you plan to go next? Then Interactive World Map is one of the best mapping plugins for WordPress for you to use. It lets you create a clickable world map and add it to your site’s posts or pages with a shortcode in minutes. And the best part is, map creation is done using a visual editor, meaning you don’t need any coding knowledge to add a map to your website.
Interactive World Map’s most notable features include:
- Responsive design and fully resizable
- Fast loading and SEO friendly
- Easily add text or images on hover popup
- Set continents to active or inactive – it’s your choice
- Configure continents to open in the same window or in a new window
Maps Marker Pro is a premium mapping plugin that comes with multiple map solutions – OpenStreetMap, Bing Maps, Google Maps, and more. It also makes things easy on your site visitors by allowing them to filter markers on the frontend and find exactly what they’re looking for. Plus, you can create multilingual maps, which is great if you have an international customer or reader base since it’s compatible with WPML and Polylang.
Maps Marker’s most notable features include:
- Sort markers by date, name, and distance according to the current position
- Display routes with metadata like distance, duration, pace, or elevation
- Share current location and movements in real-time with site visitors on the go
- Automatically add links to KML maps to your XML sitemaps for better SEO
- Upload a custom map, which is perfect for floor plans, mall maps, and other specialty locations
- Custom map pins, with over 800 icons to choose from
PRICE: € 39 (approximately $44USD)
MapPress is a free WordPress plugin that helps you add beautiful interactive Google or Leaflet maps to your website. To use it, all you have to do is enter the address of the place you’d like to display on a map on a post or page. The plugin then automatically inserts an interactive map for you. And to top it off, site visitors can get driving, walking, and bicycling directions to anywhere on your map.
MapPress’s most notable features include:
- Support for unlimited and multiple maps per post or page
- WordPress Multisite compatible
- Add markers and drag them if you want to change their location
- Street view support
- Real-time traffic updates
- Custom text and HTM for markers including images, links, and more
Progress Map is the perfect mapping plugin for site owners that have location listings. For instance, restaurants, hotel chains, and even job listing locations can be displayed easily on your site’s map. And to make things even easier for site visitors who are trying to find the perfect location, Progress Map not only adds markers to the Google map but also publishes locations in a carousel too.
Progress Map’s most notable features include:
- Optimized to support thousands of map markers
- 70+ map styles and custom map markers for location categories
- Geo-targeting for determining site visitor’s location
- Set the map language
- 7+ info window displays that pop up when a user clicks a marker
- Works with mobile touch swipe navigation
7. Map List Pro
Map List Pro is for WordPress website owners that need to display maps and store locators for their site visitors to see. Display locations in a paged, sortable, searchable, and filterable list for the ultimate user experience. And with over 35 styles to choose from, branding your maps and store locators to match your site is easy. Not to mention, this mapping plugin works well with responsive themes so even those on mobile devices will be able to view and reach their destination with ease.
Map List Pro’s most notable features include:
- Automatic zoom to show all locations on the map
- Get direction and print
- Add featured images for all locations
- Custom map markers (or use the ones provided)
- Auto-update listings when new addresses are added
- Quickly add new locations using Google’s places search
If you’re scouring the internet researching mapping plugins for WordPress that will let you create a map with multiple pins, look no further. 5sec Google Maps PRO comes fully responsive and mobile-friendly, with 10 predefined skins, 15 pre-made pins, and the ability to appear in sidebars, posts, pages, and custom post types right out of the box. This means you have more time to focus on other areas of your online business as site visitors find their way to you.
5sec Google Maps PRO’s most notable features include:
- Auto-language detection for your global audience
- Support for multiple maps per page or post
- Complete directions to and from chosen pin
- Visual builder for easy map creation
- 4 map types – road, terrain, satellite, and hybrid
- Pin animation, tooltips, and bubble descriptions
Mapify is a comprehensive mapping plugin that gives you custom pin-point graphics, limitless locations, and beautiful tooltips for your site visitors to view. It also gives you the chance to upload custom map images, while maintaining seamless zoom and panning effects as people interact with locations. And since the team behind Mapify don’t like the restrictions of Google Maps, you get access to their custom Maps API.
Mapify’s most notable features include:
- Add video content and photo galleries to every location
- Enter new addresses by clicking right on the map itself as you create it
- Toggle zoom functionality so people can lock their map in place
- Custom tooltips for each location
- Enable or disable popups for each pin
Hero Maps Premium is another excellent choice on our list of the best mapping plugins for WordPress. It’s packed with neat features like a drag-and-drop interface for marker generation, a WYSIWYG dashboard for map creation, and fixed or full-width layouts depending on your preference. But more than that, it comes with free markers in a range of colors, tabbed filtering, and the ability to draw shapes on the map for better user experience.
Hero Maps Premium’s most notable features include:
- Marker categorization and dropdown menu for site visitors
- Pre-designed color skins
- Marker clustering
- Front end search functionality
- Export of map and markers and import into another website
- Cross-browser compatibility
- Marker animations
Image Map Pro stands out from other mapping plugins because it goes beyond being a simple mapping solution. Instead, it comes with its own feature-rich web app for creating custom image maps, pins, and SVG polygon shapes. Once done, all you have to do is export them to your website for display. In addition, you can create custom actions triggered based on on-site visitor behavior, animate markers, and even upload image backgrounds.
Image Map Pro’s most notable features include:
- Connect shapes as you build your map
- Fullscreen mode
- Built-in FontAwesome icons
- Over 50 country maps
- Zoom capability in the editor for precise design
- Tooltip content builder
10Web Google Maps prides itself in being a high-quality, though simple to use mapping plugin for WordPress. You can add unlimited maps to your site, set up geolocation functionality, and use the live preview during map creation so you know it’s perfect before pushing it live. Additionally, you can add store locator layers, add an unlimited number of map markers, and pick from the pre-made skins and themes.
The 10Web Google Maps most notable features include:
- Easy map creation within minutes of starting
- Built-in icon maker for designing custom markers
- Supports all map types – road, traffic, satellite, terrain, and hybrid
- Marker listing for easier visibility
- Import/export all Google Maps attributes in .xlsx format
13. WP Store Locator
WP Store Locator is a mapping plugin for those looking for a simple location management system. You can customize your map’s appearance, add custom labels for entry fields, and filter results by radius. Plus, you can present driving directions to those that need help finding nearby stores. Lastly, add an unlimited number of stores and provide extra details like phone, fax, email, URL, description, and hours of operation.
WP Store Locator’s most notable features include:
- 9 retina ready marker icons
- Display map and driving directions in different languages
- Use the Geolocation API to determine the user’s current location
- GDPR compliant (only load map after the user agrees)
- Support for custom map styles
Super Store Finder for WordPress is a fully-featured store locator plugin that lets your customers find your store with ease. It works on all mobile devices so those heading your way can find you and it supports multiple languages for international customers. And when it comes to managing your store locations, you can customize styles, assign categories and tags, and set up notifications.
Super Store Finder for WordPress’s most notable features include:
- Fullscreen street view
- Built-in contact form for each store
- Upload custom images and configure zoom function
- Drag-and-drop markers for easy map creation
- SEO optimized for higher search rankings
- Customizable labels and text captions
15. Google Maps Easy
Google Maps Easy has one goal for you: to give you the tools needed to create a Google Map for your WordPress site in one minute. Add any type of media to your map markers, including video, images, links, text, and descriptions. And when you’re done, add it to your site using a shortcode and either let it open up as a popup or use a widget. Keep in mind however, some of the features you find here are only available in the paid version, so be careful.
Google Maps Easy’s most notable features include:
- Unlimited number of markers and locations
- Import/export feature
- Add exposition slider or table view of markers
- Social share buttons on map
- Heatmap layer
- Alternate routes and route steps
- Marker clustering
PRICE: FREE (premium version starts at $39 for one site)
Simple Google Maps Shortcode does exactly as its name implies – it gives you a shortcode to embed on any WordPress post or page for displaying a map. When it comes to making customizations, you can check out the code snippets to add to the default map shortcode. For example, change the width and height, disable the scroll wheel, and even disable the map controls if you want. Each map is cached for 3 months and automatically clears when you update it.
Flat 360° Panoramic Image Viewer is one of the most unique mapping plugins for WordPress on this list. To work, it takes a static flat panoramic image and uses WordPress to add hotspots and scrolling for a realistic viewing experience your site visitors won’t soon forget. In fact, it gives user access to right and left rotations for viewing the map location as if they’re already there.
Flat 360° Panoramic Image Viewer’s most notable features include:
- Gutenberg ready
- 180° and 360° visibility
- Auto-scroll with sliding controls
- Lightbox plugin compatible for creating popups of hotspots
- Localization ready for translations
- Mobile and touchpad support
WP Google Map Plugin is another simple mapping plugin that lets you create Google Maps shortcodes for displaying maps on posts, pages, widgets, and custom templates. With each marker that you add to your maps, you can display a message with links that activate on click. And thanks to the Google autosuggest location form, you can create an unlimited number of markers.
WP Google Map Plugin’s most notable features include:
- Display an info window on mouse over or click
- Assign categories to map locations
- 500+ ready-made markers (or upload your own)
- 45° image functionality
- Street view support
- Determine map zoom level, height, and width
- Multilingual support
Responsive Styled Google Maps offers site owners an easy way to create stylish, responsive maps. Add multiple markers on each map and multiple maps on each page if you want. Plus, use the shortcode builder and choose from over 50 colorful map styles so your maps blend perfectly with your website. Lastly, you can now edit a previously created shortcode and make changes to your maps – hassle-free.
Responsive Styled Google Maps’ most notable features include:
- Real-time map preview
- Clustering option
- Directions link
- Custom link in popups
- Translation ready
- Built-in search box
20. Google Maps CP
Google Maps CP is a mapping plugin that gives you the power to add a Google Map in any WordPress post or custom template. But the kicker with this solution is that the map you create corresponds to the content on the page. In other words, the marker that displays will be in the location based on the geolocation information of the post. In addition, it will show markers of the last posts published in related categories to encourage more site (and map) exploration.
Google Maps CP’s most notable features include:
- Can handle large volumes of dots or markers
- Display or hide bubble information
- Define location by physical address
- Customize zoom, height, width, map type, language, and more
If you’re already using the Jetpack plugin on your WordPress site, you’re in luck, this all-in-one solution has a way for you to add Google Maps to your website. All you have to do is use the Contact Info Widget to display your location, hours, and contact information. And if you want, you can enable the one-click map view too so people can see exactly where you’re located.
Advanced Google Maps Plugin for WordPress took feedback from hundreds of customers and created the ultimate mapping plugin. For example, display multiple filters so people see the most accurate results and don’t become overwhelmed. In addition, display blog posts or custom post type on the map itself, complete with posts title, description, and featured image. This is a great way to boost user engagement and sets this plugin apart from the competition.
Advanced Google Map’s most notable features include:
- Plenty of built-in info window templates
- Display multiple routes and directions from point A to point B
- Multiple listing skins
- Import and export map locations with a few clicks
- Multisite compatibility
- GDPR compliance
- Google auto-suggest
If you want a truly interactive map for your WordPress site, this is the plugin for you. To start, create clickable SVG maps, complete with colored regions, markers, and text descriptions. And when it comes to regions, focus on the world, continents, subcontinents, countries, or individual states in America. Lastly, make sure to define the country borders, state and province borders, and metro borders so users get the most accurate map results.
Interactive Map Builder’s most notable features include:
- Customizable tooltips on mouse hover
- Display bars, images, links, and more based on settings and user behavior
- Insert maps anywhere using a shortcode
- Import and export maps to other websites
- Automatic resizing to fit the device width
Mapplic has the ability to turn simple images and vector graphics into high-quality, interactive maps. Forget OpenStreetMap or Google Maps; instead, upload your own vector drawings or maps (or choose from the built-in directory) and reveal to site visitors the best maps around. For example, highlight building floorplans, temporary maps, illustrated maps, historical maps, and even fantasy RPG maps for people. And since you can add unlimited floors, this mapping plugin is great for places like airports and hospitals.
Top features include:
- Unlimited landmarks and locations
- Custom pins, icons, and actions
- 15 geographical maps – world, continents, and individual countries
- Touchscreen optimized for all mobile devices
- Every location can be referenced by its own URL (deeplinking)
25. Intergeo Maps
Intergeo Maps is an easy to use mapping plugin for WordPress that is responsive, compatible with all themes, and comes with a visual map builder to make map creation a breeze. To use it, just enter an address using the Google Maps block and insert a shortcode into any post or page. You can also customize things like the size of your map so it renders seamlessly on your site for people.
Top features include:
- Add any elements to your map you want using the visual builder
- Customize the height, width, zoom level, and more
- Set multiple locations and even add custom map markers
- Map cloning ability to save time and effort
- Pre-defined color schemes for map branding
Google Maps Widget gives you a chance to create a beautiful map, complete with a thumbnail and lightbox in minutes. With this mapping plugin, you can choose to display any type of map you want – road, satellite, terrain, hybrid, or custom. Plus, you can choose from the built-in color schemes so your maps match your websites look and feel. And if you prefer to use the Gutenberg editor, you can always grab the Google Maps Gutenberg Block plugin to makes things really simple.
Top features include:
- Customize map height, weight, pin-type/color/size, and more
- Upload any image you want for map pins
- Insert text above and below maps
- Enable an interactive lightbox (customize skin and features)
- Select the map language to meet your audience’s needs
- Use the shortcode to display the map anywhere on your site
Conclusion: The Best WordPress Map Plugins
And there you have it! The best mapping plugins for WordPress in the market that will make displaying locations and helping people reach their destinations simple. If you want to boost site engagement, give people something fun and interactive to view, and bring new customers through to your business location, I suggest you look into these mapping plugins right away and choose the one that suits you best.
Have you ever used any of the above-mentioned mapping plugins for WordPress? Have we left off a solution you think should be added?
Let us know which WordPress mapping plugin you chose & why in the comments below – we can’t wait to hear from you! 💬